logo Frequently Asked Questions

Why is it important to have a licensed mental health counselor providing counseling services
at retirement communities ?

A licensed mental health counselor protects your organization from potential lawsuits. Entry level social workers, most nursing staff, and para-professionals are not licensed to provide mental health counseling yet often fill that role. The Senior Retirement Project employs only licensed counselors that carry their own liability insurance.

My mother is having more and more problems living independently and I get differing opinions from the staff. I live out of state and don't know what to do at this point?

We offer a "check-in" program for situations just like this. This program would include: social (observational) visits with your mother, ongoing behavioral assessment, conflict resolution, and consulting with the staff so you feel assured she is in good hands. In addition, you receive timely status updates, often by telephone or SKYPE, to keep you informed on how she is doing.

I would like to get my Dad some grief counseling, but he won't go?

For many seniors counseling is a very private and personal matter, and for some individuals there is a strong social stigma attached to counseling. Our goal is to build relationships and trust with people, once built, the person is more likely to share their feelings or problems.

I think my Mother is depressed and needs counseling; do you bill Medicare or insurance?

In an effort to keep fees as low as possible, the Senior Retirement Project does not bill Medicare or private insurance companies. Rather, we strive to keep fees low through grants that focus on seniors, private donations, and fundraising.

Note: Medicare does cover mental health counseling services for in-patient (hospital) and outpatient (offices or clinics).

Currently, Medicare covers 60% of "Medicare approved" outpatient treatment; the remaining 40% is paid by the client. Our fee of $38 for individual in-home counseling is often less. However, you are encouraged to consider whether in-home or outpatient services would be a better fit for you, your parent, or relative, and determine the coinsurance after Medicare and insurance is billed.

Our retirement community employs a variety of social service professionals, but don't feel we are necessarily meeting our residents mental health and adjustment needs in a productive way.

For communities that would like to develop or revise their social service departments, the Senior Retirement Project can help revamp or revitalize social service programs using current staff through onsite research to determine the specific needs of residents and the culture of the community.

How will your services help our staff?

Resident mental health and adjustment issues can be time consuming for staff members who often do not have the skills or are uncomfortable handling these issues. When mental health, adjustment, or resident conflicts arise they are referred to the Senior Retirement Project provider, the provider will assess and treat the presenting problems saving staff members valuable time. In addition, should a staff member have a problem with a resident, the provider will work with that staff member to resolve the problem.

How long does the research study take and what is the cost?

Beginning to final report takes on average 4-5 weeks. The first 1-2 weeks are onsite. Research fees are based on the sample size of the resident population and generally range from $1500 to $3,500.

NOTE: When funding is available to conduct research, we can occassionally offer research studies to communities at a reduced cost. Please contact us for research opportunities.